Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Portabella Mushroom and Bulgur Salad


I came across this recipe for a Grilled Portabella & Bulgur Salad on Pinterest the other day and decided to re-create it for an easy and healthy dinner. I'm a huge fan of the 10 minute bulgur at Trader Joe's which is a huge time saver for a quick weeknight meal. I typically make extra bulgur because I love the leftovers for lunch the next day where I can mix in any vegetables, nuts, or dried fruit that I have on hand for a delicious salad.


Portabella Mushroom and Bulgur Salad
1/2 cup bulgur
1 cup of water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 T red wine vinegar
1 portabella mushroom 
Arugula
Salt & Pepper
Pine Nuts
Cherry Tomatoes

Peel skin from portabella mushroom using tip of a pairing knife, pulling from edge of mushroom toward center. Gently scrape off gills from mushroom with tip of a spoon. Toss the portabella mushroom with olive oil & vinegar and place in a baking dish to marinate for 10-20 minutes. Prepare a skillet for cooking the mushroom over medium heat for around 4-5 minutes on each side.

Add the 1/2 cup bulgur and 1 cup of water (or vegetable broth) to a large bowl and simmer on medium-high until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover for 10 minutes until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender.

To assemble the salad put a handful of arugula in a bowl and top with the portabella mushroom. Pack the bulgur into a cup or spoon on top of portabella and add sliced tomatoes, pine nuts and salt and pepper. I also added a little olive oil for more flavor.

xoxo

PS

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good!! I should make recipes I found on Pinterest more often.

    xo
    Angela

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips